Have you ever sat around with some time on your hands and thought of something that you've really wanted to do? That is, play a video game, watch a movie, go over to a friend's house? With many people nowadays, the first option is usually it. With Dad it was Dark Forces, with me, it's Civilization III, but neither of them is better or worse than the other one.
Mom has read studies that prove that video games are obsessive. They were made to be that way. When I first got the game last Monday, it was "the new game."
But, during the past week, conversations began to pop up between Mom and me, conversations that went, "Mom, may I play my game?"
"Yes."
Then the conversations turned to, "Mom, may I play my game?"
"Is the house tidy?"
"Uh, I don't know..."
"Don't talk to me until the house is clean."
Now, the conversations are usually, "Mom, may I -"
"No."
The following is a common conversation between 'ding 3, 'ding 4, and me:
'ding 4 - "Why do you like playing your game?"
me - "I don't know, because it's fun."
'ding 3 - "Don't worry about it. All he ever wants to do is play his stupid game."
me - "It's not stupid!"
'ding 3 - "Yes it is, isn't it?"
And, depending upon whether she's feeling mad at me or not, 'ding 4 might say, "Yeah, it is."
So, you see, my obsession is coming between me and most of my friends and immediate family. I say most of them because one of my friends bought the game in question, on my recommendation, and loves it as well.
I'm not saying video games are bad, I'm just saying that I'm going to try not to be so obsessed with Civilization III, and I hope you will pray for me, and possibly join me in not being obsessed with whatever it is in your life: Webkinz, Runescape, Halo, whatever kids (and adults with too much time on their hands) nowadays are playing.
Your brother in Christ,
'ding 2
No comments:
Post a Comment